It is well established : what you put on your body is just as significant as what you put in your body. Your skin is indeed the largest organ of your body and since it is porous, it absorbs whatever you put on it.
There are many reasons why you should chose a chemical free skin care, but here are the most important ones:
1. Avoid certain characteristics. Remembering every chemical to avoid can be difficult. You may start keeping a list of the ingredients to avoid on you at all times. However, if you forget your list, or you are just starting to switch to chemical-free, there are some keywords and general characteristics for cosmetics you can memorize for a quick and easy start to chemical-free cosmetics.
2. Your skin not only releases toxins but it also absorbs them . We all know that toxins pass out of the body in our sweat, but did you know your skin absorbs toxins this way too? The skin absorbs external chemicals and pollution from the environment. We unwittingly add to this problem by applying more toxins through our daily skincare routine, defeating the purpose of skin ‘care.’
3. Know which ingredients to avoid. Going chemical-free may be difficult, but you can reduce the toxic or dangerous chemicals in the cosmetics you buy. Knowing what to look for when you read labels can help you make smart choices when buying cosmetics. There are a core set of chemicals that should be avoided at all costs. If you are unable to learn or remember all these chemicals, print yourself a list to take with you to the store.
4. Look for chemical-free cosmetics. Some popular cosmetic companies are releasing products with harmful products removed. These products may say phthalate-free, sulfate-free, and paraben-free.
2. Use fewer cosmetics. The fewer cosmetics you use, the fewer chemicals you are introducing into your body. Think about which cosmetics you can live without. Cut it out of your routine to eliminate those chemicals.